Kerala Forest Research Institute, TEAKNET host institution at Peechi, Kerala, India
What is TEAKNET
TEAKNET is an international network of institutions and individuals interested in teak. Teaknet addresses the interests of all the categories of stakeholders related to teak, whether they are growers, traders, researchers or other groups with a profound interest or concerned with teak. From time to time, the organization formulates action plans focusing on the short term and long term needs of the global teak sector. Success of the network is critically dependent on wider participation, by all those concerned with conservation, management and utilization of teak.
Objectives of TEAKNET
- To link the national, regional and international institutions / organisations working on teak for sharing information and experience
- To serve as a dialogue platform among the tree growers, traders and researchers on problems in teak sector to find solutions
- To facilitate transfer of knowledge and dissemination of information useful to tree growers, local traders, exporters and importers on all aspects of teak including market information and price trends through its website www.teaknet.org
- To promote studies on issues that hinder development of the teak sector which include quality assessment of short rotation teak, unification of log grading rules and tracing the geographical origin of teak logs to prevent illegal logging and ensure sustainability
- To develop online databases and decision support tools beneficial to stakeholders of teak sector
- To facilitate the exchange of genetic materials (superior seed sources/improved planting materials) to enhance productivity subject to the country regulations
- To publish periodical reports/bulletins and organize meetings for the development of teak sector including matters related to development of timber certification and carbon credits
TEAKNET is basically manned by an International Steering Committee and its headquarters is currently located at the Kerala Forest Research Institute (KFRI), Peechi, India which acts as the host institution for the functioning of Teaknet. The Secretariat of Teaknet was established in KFRI with the support of FAO Regional office for Asia-Pacific, Bangkok.
TEAKNET brings out a quarterly electronic newsletter (TEAKNET Bulletin) through its website. It is intended for circulation among the members of TEAKNET and other stakeholders around the globe. The Bulletin welcomes short articles, research results of non-technical nature etc. from researchers, teak growers and traders for inclusion as news items. To subscribe the online TEAKNET Newsletter, enter your email below.
IUFRO All Division 5 Conference 2017-Vancouver, British Columbia
TEAKNET Directory Online Form
We are updating our TEAKNET Directory of Traders, Planters, Government Officials and Researchers in order to effectively link all the stakeholders across the globe and share information and events related to teak.
Alerts and News
- Myanmar might export timber products to EU
- Sustainable Management and Genetic Conservation of Teak Resources: Project Formulation Workshop: 26-27 May, Bangkok: Participation (on invitation only)
- Clarification on the Myanmar teak export ban
- GI tag for Nilambur Teak: Opportunities and Legal Paths- News report from the National Daily ‘The Hindu’
- Myanmar’s teak export ban could knock the floor out from under the yacht industry—literally
- The biggest teak tree in Asia has been discovered in Kerala, India
- European Union Timber Regulation(EUTR)
- World Teak Conference 2015